What is your experience in terms of working or friends with people from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds? I am first generation, my parents are from Italy and therefore I entered the school system speaking very broken English and was placed in ESL for a few years. I have friends from a number of cultural backgrounds and appreciate there are many challenges for teachers when presented with learners of various abilities.
I had the opportunity to observe an ELL student in the fall of 2009 and witnessed many obstacles from a student perspective and teacher perspective. There are many instructional strategies being used with ELL students that have proven to be very successful, no different then the strategies that are utilized for many other learning needs. The most important factor rests on the instructor as it is the instructor’s responsibility to understand their student’s needs and what will suit them best. In some cases the social acclimation of the student plays a major role in the student’s success. If we can provide ELL student the support to develop a strong self efficacy to learn English then they will succeed. It is also important to engage their parents to reinforce the work and support they need at home.
Do you have experience in working with ELLs? Yes, myself and previous student observations.
Do you have experience in teaching ELLs? No
What is your perception on ELLs in terms of their learning motivation and performance in general and in reading and writing specially? Like any child they are eager to learn. Self efficacy plays a large role in their success and it is very important that teachers accept ELL student’s culture and embrace it into the classroom in a way that they are seen as an added value and feel comfortable making mistakes and meeting the language challenges.
What learning difficulties do ELLs usually encounter in schools? ELL students face many challenges from fitting in socially to keeping up with the rest of the class.
In your observation, how do classroom teachers resolve ELLs’ learning difficulties and improve their learning motivation? Teachers utilize similar techniques with guided reading, read alouds using books that the ELL student might relate to enrich the class on different cultures and engage the ELL student so they feel part of the class.
What strategies do they often adopt? See above. In addition cooperative group work so they may learn from their peers who may know the language or be able to help.
Are these strategies effective? Yes
Are you familiar with these strategies? Yes, very. Every class I have observed utilizes these strategies
Are family and community involved? Not that I can really witness. Providing pointers to family on how they can help is very helpful.
What intervention strategies would you adopt if you have ELLs in your class? RTI, running records, solom.
How do you go about teaching the child? Based on their difficulty I would try to keep the student in the class and work with them during center time for guided reading work. If I had the budget I would provide a speech to text translation program in class as an assistive technology piece they can use when appropriate.
How do you go about reaching out to the family and the community?
Monday, February 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think a lot of guided reading and practice is very effective for ESL students, the more practice they get the better they will be. It's also a great idea to have them read at home as well with parents or older siblings.
ReplyDeleteYou have a unique view of diverse cultures/language being from an immigrant family yourself. I agree with your comments but the one which stands out most is being a teacher who is able to relate to the cultural and linguistic background of the student. Being able to make that student feel accepted and important goes a long way in acheiving their language goals.
ReplyDeleteI agree that getting the parents involved in the work that the student needs to master is probably a very important strategy for teachers to try. I have never witnessed it either but I did ask my cooperating teacher, who is a resource Reading teacher about it, and she said the success of parental involvement really varies on a case by case basis. She also said that it is more often very difficult to establish due to language barriers.
ReplyDeleteI think "text to speech" would also be a good one to help ELLs and there are many free softwares you could download from, such as Natural Readers: http://www.naturalreaders.com/.
ReplyDeleteI agree that ELL students worry about fitting in. That can definitely play into how a child learns. I believe that having friends is more important than learning to a lot of children. I always have the younger children come to me crying that someone said that they didn't want to be friends anymore. Embracing a student's culture can put them at ease in the classroom.
ReplyDeleteFor some reason, I can't find the commenting button on your week 2 post. Could you also update your observation records?
ReplyDelete